Sunday 28 June 2015

A Start to Color Theory (Plus Video) with Jacqueline Moore

Hi 13 Arts fans!!!
During my post today and over the next few as well I am going to talk with you a little about color theory, and share a creation with you showing you my take on each color scheme.
There are many different color combinations you can use for example a Monochromatic color scheme which I am sure you are all familiar with. The next easiest to use is an analogous color scheme. This is when you use 2 or more (usually 3) colors that are next to each other on the color wheel, which is what I have based my creation on today.

A Color Wheel is made up of Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary colors. A regular color wheel will display shades (when black is added) on the outside, then working towards the center display tones (when grey is added), the hue (the color in its pure form), and finally in the center, tints (when white is added). A color wheel can have many different tints, tones and shades like the one one below.



A common belief when working with a color wheel is that you must pick just one color from each row, for example in the row of green which is a secondary color, you would have a dark green, emerald green, olive green, grey green, apple green, bright green, light green, ect. Many people feel that they can only pick one of these. This is not true. In a monochromatic scheme you would use all or just some of the different types of greens, and using an analogous color scheme, complementary or split complementary scheme, ect, is no different.

For my creation today, using an analogous color scheme I have selected the Blue/Green's, Green's, and Yellow/Green's. Not just a shade from one, a tint from another, ect, but many shades, tones, tints and hue's from each of these 3 columns, actually giving me quite a broad range of colors to work with.

I have also put together another YouTube video for you so you can see just how this layout came together.

'Happy Boy'


I didn't want to overpower my layout by using these colors in equal proportions so I have chosen the Blue/Green's as my focus colors with small amounts Green in the background and just a tint of Yellow/Green to accent.

Some close-ups:












  Here is the video:



 I will be back for my next 13 Arts post with more on Color theory, so make sure you stay tuned!!
I hope you enjoyed my post and thank you for stopping by!!!

13 Arts products used:
Mental Vacation Collection - Papers;  Starlight Collection - Papers;

Color Basic Collection - Papers;  Color Basic Mask - Squares;

2 comments:

  1. WOW it's really awesome <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazingly beautiful layout. Thanks so much for this information and video.

    ReplyDelete